Thursday, April 7, 2011

Plum-Side Down Cakes

YUM! I found this recipe in a cookbook my aunt got me. It's mainly for kids and having them cook with you. Claire likes to cook with me but usually doesn't eat it. I was happy to find that in this recipe I only needed one thing, the fruit! I might try canned next time to make it 'cupboard ready'. However, I did like the idea that this was 100% fresh. You can use any fruit with it. Next time I will lessen the amount of fruit in the bottom of the pans. They fell apart while trying to remove. Other than that, simple, easy and oh so tasty! Enjoy!


2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
3 plums, sliced
2 Tbsp shortening
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
1 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin it with nonstick cooking spray.
Melt butter and stir in brown sugar. Spoon in muffin tins.
Arrange the fruit slices in the bottom of each cup.
Beat the shortening and sugar until fluffy.
Beat in the egg until well combined.
In another bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
Add the dry ingredients and milk to the shortening mixture. Beat until smooth.
Spoon batter over the fruit.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes.

Makes 6 servings

1 comment: